Last updated: 13.01.2011
COMMITTEE OF YOUNG SCIENTISTS
The committee of young scientists (CYS) is a body in the structure of the Union of Scientists in Bulgaria ( USB). It was established in February 2003 and consists of representatives from all sections and branches of the USB. The main goal of the committee is to support and promote the scientific and research work of young scientists as: PhD students, researchers, assistants, associated professors and other early stage scholars perusing a scientific career. Its main aims include:
- strengthening the relations and co-operation among young scientists in Bulgaria and other European and non-European countries;
- supporting and active participation in dissemination and exchange of scientific knowledge, experience and know-how among young scientists and researchers in Europe;
- information sharing and active communication and co-operation between science and practice;
- conducting surveys and analysis regarding different common problems of young scientists and researchers;
- organizing conferences, training courses, workshops and other events, contributing for the further education, development and knowledge transfer among young and experienced scientist;
- encouraging the dialogue between science and business.
The committee of young scientists supports and is ready to participate in projects like:
- Creation and further development of networks of young scientists;
- Information sharing and communication encouragement among science and practice;
- Creation of scientific groups for research and generation alternative solutions to specific strategic problems;
- Research and Development centers in co-operation with leading scientific institutions;
- Science parks and Technology transfer units.
Events organized or co-organized by the Committee of Young Scientists:
- In collaboration with the British Council – Bulgaria , on March 14, 2004 a seminar “Communication between Science and the Media” was organized. The event was attended by members of the CYS, by students and doctorants from different units of the Union of Scientists in Bulgaria and other academic institutions, as well as by journalists from leading Bulgarian media – press, journals, national radio. Lecturer to the Seminar was Dr. Toby Mercot, expert on science communication – invited by the British Council – Bulgaria .
- Members of the CYS participated to the establishment of a “ Caf e Scientifique » on June 24, 2004 - Club of scientists from different branches of science, which are interested in science communication and promotion of scientific knowledge. Host of the event was also the British Council - Bulgaria.
- At the initiative of the British Council – Bulgaria, the Ministry of Science and Education, with the collaboration of the Union of Physicists, the Union of Scientists in Bulgaria and the active participation of CYS members, a Festival of science “Let’s Play Science” took place on March 25, 2005 , dedicated to the 2005 – International Year of Physics.
- The CYS, in partnership with the Austrian Science and Research Liaison Office Sofia organized a seminar on “The Impact of the European Research Area on the Development of Young Scientists” on October 19-20, 2006 . The aim of the seminar was to discuss different aspects related to capacity building and development of young scientists in the context of European integration. Different issues on the mobility as an alternative to the “brain drain” process were presented. Possibilities and further collaboration between young Bulgarian and Austrian scientists and joint participation in European projects were investigated. Most of the papers, presented at the Seminar were published in “Science” Magazine – the official journal of the Union of Scientists in Bulgaria .
British Council - Bulgaria www . britishcouncil.bg
Austrian Science and Research Liaison Office Sofia www .zsi .at
Centre for Academic Research www .cas .bg
Young Scientists' Club - Plovdiv ÑÚÞÇ ÍÀ Ó×ÅÍÈÒÅ - ÏËÎÂÄÈÂ
Doctorants' Club at Specialized Higher School on Library and Information Technologies www .kbd -bg .org
Euroscience – Bulgaria
Minsitry of Education and Science
Higher Testimonail Committee
Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
www .uni -sofia .bg
www .tu -sofia .bg
Bulgarian Mobility Portal ERA – MORE www.eracareers-bg.net
European Festival http://www.wonders.at/
Libraries and Scientific Fora for Current Information
Central and Eastern-European Online Library www .ceeol .com
Union of Scientists in Bulgaria
Young Scientists Committee
39, Madrid Blvd.
tel.: (+359 2) 943 30 22
fax: (359 2) 944 15 90