Bulgarian Society of Biomedical Physics and Engineering
Report for the period 2003-2006
I. Scientific research and applied aspects:
- 9th National Conference on Biomedical Physics and Engineering 2004 with international participation – accreditation and Proceedings published
- Participation in national and international congresses and conferences
- Participation in the National Fund “Scientific Research”
- Spring/ autumn Colloquium/Workshop on “Physics in man’s protection”
- National Spring Conferences of the Physics Teachers
- National Seminars on Risk Management, EMF, Mobile Communications, Quality Assurance in Diagnostic Radiology, Radiation Protection in Medicine and others
- WHO Standards Regional Project on Electromagnetic Fields (EMF)
- Participation in the 6th EC Framework: Project “Sentinel” and Project “Biomedea”
- National Workshop on Radiation Protection in Interventional Cardiology – October 2006
- 12. National Congress on Radiology 2006 – 19-21.10. Sunny Beach.
II. Post-graduate studies and training – organization and lecturers:
- tutorials – postgraduate and continuing training, also for students at the Medical and the State Universities
- National Training Courses – in QA and RP in medicine (with support of the IAEA)
- Reviews and expertises, editorial boards, specialized scientific councils, nationally and internationally
- Common projects with international partners
- Lectures in national and international courses
- Publications in national and international scientific magazines.
III.Co-laboration and co-operation:
the Society became a collective member of the Union of
- in National Programs – for Preventing Osteoporosis, for Invasive Cardiology, “Medical Standards” – “Nuclear Medicine” and “Diagnostic Imaging” as well as in harmonization of the national legislature with the EU in ionizing and non-ionizing radiation, elaboration of diverse Ordinances and others
with the Union of Medical Societies in
- with international organizations – IOMP, IFMBE, EFOMP, EAMBES, CERN (correspondence, voting, teleconferencing, etc.).
- first steps to introduce accreditation procedure for MP&BME
- support of young scientists and researchers/students (literature, contacts, participation in national and international events)
- celebration of the Year of Physics 2005
- regular officers’ meetings (General Assembly 2004)
- contacts and correspondence with members countrywide
- regular maintenance of the website
- celebration of outstanding members/veterans and renowned scientists and researchers
- introduction of a membership card.
Next to the activities cited above, in order to meet the new century’s challenges of the information society and the national priorities, the members of the Society strive :
- to strengthen the organization, the role and the significance of the Society nationally and internationally as a forum of experts and an advisory body
- to assure methodological support to professional organizations
- to improve and to dynamize the relations to NGO’s and other professional formations
- to promote the participation in national and international activities (congresses, workshops, expertise, teleconferencing, e-voting, innovations, propagation and widening of the membership and so on).
The Administrative Council concentrates all its efforts to realize the aims:
- preparation of the forthcoming scientific events: Workshop and Congress
- to continue the successful practice in scientific events and PG & CP training
- to raise the importance and position of medical physicists and engineers in hospitals, health care units and research centers, incl. their insertion in the clinical tracks!
- to introduce an accreditation procedure for MP&BME in accordance with IOMP’s and IFMBE’s bylaws (ETCS, representation in the National Accreditation Commission, etc.)
- to maintain and update regularly the Website
- to update and improve the national data base of MP&BME experts
- preparation and introduction of a thesaurus on NIR and IR
- to propagate and promote ideas and activities of the relevant International Organizations and the National Society on BPE in order to attract new members (prevailing corporate ones).